EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
Bob Rice used to call them "Trojan Teakettles."  ;-)

...plus a few more colorful adjectives. :-)

When I was running the C-car, I had a panel with 8 edgewise expanded-scale
voltmeters to monitor individual batteries.  (It's probably still somewhere
in the garage.)

I like Lee Hart's ideas here though.  His Batt-bridge is a quick way to at
least get a warning when something's wrong.

http://www.evdl.org/pages/battbridge.html

Thanks David. The Batt-Bridge is simple as dirt, yet will tell you if there's a stinker in the pack (though not which one). There's more about it at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm#battbridge

I think I also recall him suggesting a line of simple LEDs, one for each
battery.  You can easily tell if one LED is significantly dimmer than the
others.

That's another very simple way to monitor a bunch of batteries. A small voltage change on an LED causes a big brightness change. The human eye is extremely sensitive to differences in brightness, so this is an easy way to spot even small differences.

--
Knowledge is better than belief. Belief is when someone else does
your thinking.  -- anonymous