I agree with all the below points but you missed a major one.How nice it is to
get into a warm car on these cold frosty mornings. I am having an enforced
month or so in an ICE after my Volt/Ampera's rear quarter was bent by a
speeding driver.It is like going back in time!

      From: brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: ev@lists.evdl.org
 Sent: Thursday, 14 January 2016, 8:19
 Subject: [EVDL] Time for ‘The Return of the EV’, the power of dark oily forces

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/opinion/contributors/2016/01/08/guest-columnist-time-return-ev/78502336/
Guest columnist: Time for ‘The Return of the EV’
January 8, 2016  Rudy Beharrysingh

Over the holidays there were several questionable reports on electric
vehicles. One should never underestimate the power of the dark forces of
oil. Perhaps it is time for the “Return of the EV.”

In 2011 President Obama set a goal for 1 million EV’s to be on the road by
2015. Although we hit 350,000 this year, there are 1 million EV’s on the
road worldwide and the number is growing every day despite low gas prices.

What motivates a person to buy a “limited range” electric car?

1.The political implications of oil and gas are huge. Currently, the U.S.
imports about 9.5 million barrels per day of oil. About 30 percent of this
is from OPEC, with half of this from the Persian Gulf. That’s about 1.4
million barrels per day coming from the Persian Gulf. At a cost of $35 per
barrel that is $50 million per day that we (consumers) send to the Middle
East (on the order of $20 billion per year). And, that’s low compared to
what it used to be. Need I say more…?

2. We are experiencing one of the mildest winters ever on the East coast.
Global warming exacerbates the phenomenon called El Nino. For the first time
in recent history, CO2 concentration has gone above 400 ppm. These excessive
greenhouse gas concentrations lead to unpredictable weather patterns. EVs
emit less pollution and CO2 than their gas counterparts. Plus, they have the
potential to have zero emissions. A large percentage of EV owners also
install some sort of solar system to charge their car.

3. EVs are faster, cooler and cleaner than their gas counterparts. With a
relatively low cost electric vehicle, you get the performance of a high-end
gas car. Now, put that in your tail pipe and smoke it.

4. The range is not really limited. I just come home every day and plug in
my car. “Miss the gas station not, do I!”

5. Yes, there are tax credits to buy these innovative machines. However,
they expire when the manufacturer sells 200,000 electric vehicles.
Regardless, the government incentives to buy EVs are insignificant compared
to the U.S. government’s welfare checks handed to wealthy oil and gas
corporations every year (estimated around $37 billion annually).

6. Drive what you want, but thank your local EV and hybrid driver for doing
their part in cleaning the environment and helping to reduce gas prices.

7. Very little maintenance is required for electric cars. There are fewer
moving parts. While the synchronous moving of pistons up and down and rev of
an internal combustion engine (ICE) are neat and quaint, the electric car
represents a quantum leap in transportation technology.

Moving from driving a gas-powered car to driving an electric vehicle is like
giving up the old rotary phone for a new smart phone. Sure, not everyone is
ready for it, but once they drive one, there is no going back….

For a realistic look at the future of transportation see:
http://cleantechnica.com/2015/09/06/evs-cut-global-gasoline-use-2040/

Rudy Beharrysingh is director of the Mathematics Assistance Center at UNC
Asheville.
[© citizen-times.com]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/