On 01/18/2016 01:46 PM, Michael Ross via EV wrote:
  " It has no future that I can see."

If everything stays the same except legislation, maybe.  But the tech will
improve a lot in 10 years.

It is possible that net metering will go away, or it will be unbalanced and
they pay less for the owner generaed power (Duke proposed to the rate
commision here in NC to pay $0.02/ kWh and to charge $0.11 / kWh), but it
didn't fly.  The system of renewable energy credits helps hold that back.
Straying off topic, but with SOME relevance:

My electric provider has a fair net metering deal. Aside from the monthly "overhead" of $22.50 per meter, they give full credit for energy produced as long as it is less than that supplied. I was surprised to find our marginal electric charge was only about $.085; think it had been $.10-$.11. I believe we've seen a reduction due, probably, to cheaper natural gas. They pay for "over production" annually. This billing period I got my credit for the previous year. It is about $.046 which is supposed to represent their average wholesale cost for the year. This is a meter where I have too much PV and I'm trying to get it closer to "right" on other meters.

I've been watching with dismay what is happening in Nevada.

It seems utilities are putting in their own big solar farms. I'm sure they can produce more efficiently than homeowners. I recently passed some BIG solar installations not far from Las Vegas:
https://goo.gl/maps/vEgQskTUWYJ2
Some of that is heat solar but most is PV.