One can measure the diameter of the wire to determine gaugeĀ
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/AWG.phtml

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message
--------From: Rick Beebe via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 1/20/2016  11:16 AM
(GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject:
Re: [EVDL] Where 20 amp receptacles are required
On 01/20/2016 11:33 AM, Bill Dube via EV wrote:
> Keep in mind that there is nothing to prevent someone from replacing the
> 15 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle. You can
> still only draw 12 amps. The circuit capacity is what you care about,
> not so much the style of receptacle.
>
> The only method I am aware of to determine the ampacity of the circuit
> is to identify the breaker. There are all sorts of nifty electronic
> devices to aid you in doing this, but that is the bottom line.

Actually the only sure way is to examine the gauge of the wire attached
to said receptacle and breaker. 14 gauge is 15amp, 12 gauge is 20amp
(subject to distance limitations). I've seen panels where someone put a
30amp breaker on a 14gauge wire.

Since Katrina I've done a lot of volunteer work rewiring houses in
Biloxi, Mississippi. After the hurricane they made a code change
requiring all the circuits to be wired with 12 gauge wire. It's a pain
to work with but really does remove the question asked here.

The easiest way to identify a breaker is to plug something into the
outlet and flip breakers until it goes out. A loud radio works if you
can hear that far. If not, a second person on a cell phone is ideal. If
you're alone, turn off all the 120v breakers on one side of the box then
run and check the outlet. That helps cut the search time to one side of
the box or the other.

--Rick