I was thinking about a problem and one thing led to another....
I got a Nissan Leaf without the fancy package with "Car Wings" wifi
 (did my round trip, 60 miles, without heat but a little defrost with
20 miles left over :-)

I said to myself, presumptively, that I could have the charger listen
in on CANBUS
and let me know info in the house...it is OSS, right?   Well, not quite...
I was reading EVSE specs and EVSE does not connect directly to CAN bus.

BUT
I saw that ChaDemo does seem to have access to CAN Bus.

I'm thinking the Open Chademo projects have the potential to yield
a computer interface from the house into the car....

(I know, the simple solution would have been to get the model that has
CarWings :-)

....but for me, first I need to finish building my OpenEVSE
(I have been close to finishing for a week:-)
and a 220 line for it.   (I have a 20a 120V GFCI now)