Patents are awarded for _novel_ uses of existing tech and principles - in a
particular industry where it has not appeared before, or been disclosed
(prior disclosure makes it not novel).  That is a lay description; it is,
of course, much more complicated in practice. And a patent is not worth
much until it is challenged in court and a ruling is made.  At any rate if
you can apply inductive coupling for power transmission in a new
application, then you can patent it.  Or if the application means itself is
novel in some small way.

The narrower the patent is written the less valuable it is, and the more
likely it is to be awarded (easier for someone else to change it a litte
tiny bit and get a patent for that).  If you write a very broad patent, it
may be rejected, or shot down in court.

I have two patents neither particulalry earth shaking or brand new as an
idea.  One was the application of a modified circuit of little note, but
used in an application not before seen. The other a mechanical enhancement
to an existing product that made it better to manufacture, and longer
lasting, That mecahnical method may be in other applications, used for
different purposes, but it is patentable if that exact application is not
yet patented.

I wouldn't have personally paid to get it done, but my boss liked to push
these through as a perk. Neither likely provided any protection from IP
theft, and surely never made any money from licensing.

The final mention  - money from licensing - is a probably reason why they
got the patent.  If they can make licensing easer to stomach, than fighting
in court then, it is worthwhile, eh?

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*