Brad,

I am someone who is most certainly NOT an expert in your field, but I try
to approach any problem by finding its borders first.  I do know that
switched reluctance (SR) motors are very enticing due to their simplicity
and therefore low cost, but they are mind-numbingly difficult to control
well.  And an EV is s very broad-spectrum application, so good control
under a wide variety of conditions is a necessity.

Several years ago I read an article on a new suite of SR motors that
boasted a new level of control, but they don't seem to have taken the
market by storm yet.

Seems to me you'll need a mountain of expertise in SR motor theory before
you start.  Because that's what others have had at their disposal and
haven't created an EV-suitable SR motor yet.  TI and probably others have
chips that are specifically designed for SR motors and they've devoted a
lot of development time to the application.

This is well-traveled ground.  I know this appears to be throwing cold
water on your plans, but in fact I'm hoping you have some new ideas that
might bring SR motors to EVs.  Do you?  Can you share?

Chris