I have a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ and I was wondering at what SOC% the CHAdeMO
charge rate dropped to the 6.6kW charge rate of the on board charger. The
other day I had a trip where I needed to top up a bit at an Aerovironment
50kW CHAdeMO charger so I had plenty of range to get back to the same
charger on my way home. An interesting quirk of the Kia Soul EV is that
there is no onboard control the driver can set to tell the car when to stop
charging. It will charge to just below 84% and shut off. If the charge is
restarted it will continue to charge to 94% and shut off. I have not tried
restarting CHAdeMO charging after that point.

The weather wasn't too bad so after the charger first shut off at just
under 84% I restarted the charge and used my phone to video the kWh and
SOC% reading on the charger display. (FWIW, no one needed the charger so it
was a great time to collect some data.) On my return trip the SOC was at
32% so I also videoed the charging from there until it shut off at just
below 84%. When I got home I transcribed a good share of the kWh data along
with the time stamp of the frame into a spreadsheet and plotted the
results. It took 22.25 minutes to charge from 32% to nearly 84% and 19
minutes to charge from there to 94%.

>From 32% to about 75% the charge rate was about 45.5kW where the charge
rate began to taper down to about 12.5kW at the point of charge
termination. Interestingly, the charge rate from nearly 84% was about 22kW.
When the SOC reached 90-91% the average charge rate was 7.0kW and 91-92%
the average charge rate was 5.7kW. The charge rate just before termination
was about 2.5kW.

Based on this info it looks like when my car reaches 91-92% I might as well
switch over to L2 charging.

Note that the SOC% displayed is the display SOC not the actual battery pack
SOC. The battery is a little over 30kWh but only 27kWh is available. Thank
you Kia for advertising it as a 27kWh pack! Under sell, over deliver.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:32 PM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> All the L3 EVSE I have seen in use (Blink/ccg and others) offer the charge
> initiator the option of what level SOC they want end the charging at. Some
> drivers set it to 100% SOC, others just go with the EVSE's default of 80%.
> Each L3 EVSE's hardware and each EV's hardware operate a little differently
> (your experience will vary depending on what you have and what you are
> working with).
>
> Since after 80% SOC the level 3 charger's current drops dramatically (down
> to about the L2 rate), the wisest and most prudent use of the L3 EVSE is
> for
> the driver to disconnect at 80% SOC and move out of the space to allow
> another driver to use the L3 charging (meaning if they want to finish their
> charge to 100%, they would plug into a L2 EVSE elsewhere).
>
> But that does not happen. Once a driver is in front of the L3 EVSE, they
> consider it theirs, and they do not care about anyone else. So there is the
> best use of the more rare L3 EVSE, and then there are how inconsiderate
> humans misbehave.
>
> There are other factors as to if a L3 EVSE charges to 100% SOC, see
> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12637
>  (QC-settings)
>
>  and there are the differences between what the L3 EVSE display says, and
> what the EV's display says, see
> http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/2012/09/dcqc-soc.html
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
> http://evdl.org/evln/