On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Solder is mechanically weak, and has a low melting point. It's fine for
> little low-power stuff, when there is negligible shock and vibration. It
> is, after all, how 99.9% of all electronic connections are made on circuit
> boards. :-)
>
> But, it's a poor choice for high power, things that get hot, or where
> there is mechanical stress.

​Excellent advice, ​and something to keep in mind whenever you get tempted
to use solder for mechanical strength.  I've seen it often enough (that is,
seen these applications fail enough) to look into it a bit.  Turns out one
of the worst things you can do to a solder joint is mechanically stress it
while also gently thermal cycling it.  You don't need to get anywhere near
the solder's softening point (normal operating temps can do it) to get it
to fail quickly by doing this.

Disclaimer here, which leads to my question.  The above applies to your
regular garden-variety lead-tin solder.  Does anyone know if it also
applies to lead-free?  Time for an RoHS update on old knowledge.

Chris