On 05/03/2016 08:28 AM, George Tyler via EV wrote:
Hi, here in NZ many people are importing used Nissan Leaf's from Japan.
Japan has different voltage and frequency to the supply here, leaf charging
cable: 200V 60hz, NZ voltage 230V 50Hz. There is a small transformer in the
cable that has to be changed, but opening the cable means that it has to be
re-certified. Does anyone know what the charging cable electronics does?
The cable has an EVSE embedded in it. This basically tells the car how much current is available and only turns on the power if a car is actually present. In the EVSE supplied with the Gen 1 cars the power supply for the circuit inside the EVSE has a mains step down transformer not for more than 200v. This transformer will saturate on 240V and get very hot. The dealer forgot to do the replacement on our car and it failed after about 6 weeks being plugged in continuously. They replaced it with one that had been modified. I think you may also have to replace some over-voltage protection too.

What is the certification you're worried by? I'm not aware of needing a certification to plug something in in New Zealand.

The EVSE supplied with the Gen 2 cars is smaller, I don't know if that one needs modification or not.

If you don't want to modify the Nissan EVSE you might look at https://bluecars.nz/bc-shop/ in Auckland. Carl has an 8-10-16A selectable EVSE with a 16A caravan plug & a caravan to "normal" 10A 3 pin plug adapter (with 10A circuit breaker and RCD). He also has a fixed 8A EVSE.