From what I have read in the past, inductive pads are not that energy efficient as compared to a direct plug in. Have things changed?

I like the idea behind Apple's Magsafe 2 charging port for laptops. With the Magsafe 2 charging system, the port is magnetized so that a charger plug will stay attached but will release given enough force. This prevents yanking on a firmly connected plug and prevents damage to the connective plug and/or receptacle.

For an EV, the idea would be that the plug hangs down from the ceiling or pole and a person drives into their garage, carport, or spot on the driveway. The magnetic field is sensed, opens up the charging port doors, and the magnetic field draws the plug to the proper position, makes contact, a light on the dash confirms proper contact, and recharging begins. When the time comes to drive away, there is no plug to remove. The motion of backing away breaks the magnetic hold and the port door automatically closes. There is no forgetting to unplug.

I could see where out in the open where dew and rain might present a problem. How does Tesla, Nissan, and all the other EV manufacturers prevent water from causing a short?