This whole autonomous vehicle circus has been a PR disaster, thanks in
large part to Tesla calling their system "autopilot".  No one stops to
realize the real autopilot (as used in aircraft) is little more than cruise
control.  And when you're in the vicinity of anything you could hit, you're
not permitted to use it.

A fully autonomous road vehicle is a challenge several orders of magnitude
more complex.  Since everyone is in a frantic race to be the first with a
commercially available system, I predict injury and fatality rates will
rise while profits take priority over technical maturity, then hopefully
peak, fall and level off.

You won't find me in such a vehicle until that happens.  There's a limit to
my desire to be an early adopter.