Till we get a TSLA Power wall engineered accordingly.

      From: Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:59 AM
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] PG&E's EV Charging Plan Still Angers Industry Players ...

Russ Sciville via EV<ev@lists.evdl.org>  wrote:
 >> Surely no-one would wish a Rapid to operate at 240v 1 ph?

Most assuredly, someone will! The same guy that wants and can afford a
top-of-the-line luxury EV is going to want a top-of-the-line luxury fast
charger.

If he's in the USA, he won't have 3-phase power in his home. But he
*will* have 240v 200a single-phase service. That's 48kw if you dedicate
it all to the charger.

So, someone is bound to offer such a charger. To make it actually work,
it will have to sense the home's present power usage, and "throttle" the
charger to use whatever is available. If the home's other luxury toys
are using 100a, then the charger can draw 100a without tripping the 200a
main breaker.

Naturally, they will advertise that it "charges at *up to* 48kw to
recharge your Tesla in *as little as* 15 minutes!" (asterisk...)

The asterisk points to tiny text that no one reads, which says "...if
nothing else is turned on in the house, and the Tesla isn't fully
discharged".

Personally, if I were doing this... I'd make it a whole-house UPS with
its own bank of batteries. These batteries are charged slowly, during
off-peak hours. If you need a fast charge, they are "dumped" into the
EV. Or, if the AC power to your home goes off, they can provide backup
power until it comes back on.
--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery