BTW, most likely what Nissan is stating is that the 2016 30kWh pack is
likely software incompatible (different BMS) as well as not making a
version that would communicate to the older Leafs (probably just a
different control plug layout, just like between 2011/2012 and
2013-2015).
Because Nissan *did* make a 2011/2012 compatible version of their 2015
"Lizard" pack that is used in warranty replacements, which has the old
type (4-row) control plug on the 2015 harness and the BMS is programmed
differently to read and report the 4 temp sensors that the 2011/2012
expect, while the 2015 normally has only 3 temp sensors.

However, for a shade tree mechanic like myself to fit a 30kWh pack into
a 2011, all you need to do is to gut your 2011 pack from its modules,
cut the 2015 shell open (it is glued shut) and move the modules from
that shell into your old 2011 shell and adapt the 2011 BMS wiring to
connect to all 96 cells of the new pack.
Main issues that can be encountered are the mechanical outline of the
module mounting and the harness design (wire length that requires
modifying) and the risk of making errors in connecting the new pack to
the old BMS, blowing it up. Careful work, triple-checking everything you
do and actually measuring the voltage on the BMS connectors before
plugging in can make a world of difference.
I needed about 3 days to swap the Lizard cells from my pack into the
2011 shell from my neighbors to get their car going again as well as to
adapt the 2015 BMS that was paired to my car and the optimized
contactors and service disconnect and current sensor to fit into a used
2011 pack and put that back into my car to get mine going as well. So, 2
complete pack rebuilds.
This latter included designing new mounting support, hacking off
unusable supports that were in the way and filing off bits of the
battery pack shell to allow bolts that were shifted in the service
disconnect mounting to fit.
Oh and replacing the HV connector that was damaged in shipping (or
dismantling of the car) to replace it with the plug that used to go on
the 2015 pack, also because the contacts for the newer plug are shorter
as Nissan added a common mode choke between plug and contactors, inside
the shell. It was not 3 days continuous work as I also had family
business to take care of.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.