[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Leaf-trip-to-Sacramento-from-San-Francisco-tp4683478.html
Leaf trip to Sacramento from San Francisco
]

For those curious about the Leaf term 'battery heat' used, see
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7648

And a 'light (right) accelerator foot', brings to mind what Clare Bell
(Women's Racing Team) had often said in the past, 'Drive like there is an
egg under your foot', see:
http://www.changeyourcorner.com/articles/eggtrick.php
 ... imagine you have an egg taped under the toes of your right foot when
you drive ... without breaking the egg ...
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/travel/a32428/driving-mistakes/
 ... 7. You're applying too much pressure to the gas and brake pedals ... to
get the best [energy] economy " ... drive like you have an egg under your
foot." The more smoothly you accelerate and brake, the further your [energy]
will go ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Bell#Biography
 ... Bell also became interested in electric vehicles. After converting a VW
beetle to electric with a conversion kit, she began building, racing,
repairing, designing, and racing electric cars ... As part of the Women's
Electric Racing Team, she competed in the Arizona Public Service utility
company's APS Solar and Electric 500 and APS Electrics electric vehicle
races, held in Phoenix, Arizona from 1993 to 1997 ...
http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=437
 ... one of the EV industry's most remarkable women ...

I am glad Lawrence posted his EV trip on the evdl. It reminds me of the all
the many evdl posts I made of my e-trips when I pushed my Blazer EV
conversion's range envelope. While Lawrence did not say, I am assuming his
90mi e-trip was on one charge. If so, I am not stating Lawrence's 90mi
e-trip did not happen, nor do I have doubts:
https://www.google.com/#q=%22range%22+Leaf+miles
Leaf range is 84 to 107 mi

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/range/
Nissan tool to estimate a trip's range,
Enter: San Francisco, CA 94110 & Sacramento, CA 95814
Gives: 89 miles

But after reading Lawrence's brief/terse post, I was left hungry for more
details (perhaps Lawrence will post more later).
So, the following it totally conjecture, and possibly just a brain-exercise,
so as to give a whiff of what Lawrence's Leaf-trip was like/about, etc.

Evdl old-timers know Lawrence is a musician (from his previous msg
trailers). Looking at his professional profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lawrence-rhodes-6a79419
 ... California Musical Theatre
March 1994 – Present (22 years 6 months) Sacramento, California Area
Woodwind musician as needed ...
[ (CMT) 1510 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814]

So, I will run with him having a 'gig' (gigging) in Sac. as his
reason/purpose for the trip.
Using the traffic option, and setting it to have him leave at 11am for his
~2hr e-trip to Sac:
https://goo.gl/maps/miqC9kRimJ32
 traffic really was not that bad (he wisely missed the going-to-work or
coming-home traffic mess).

Setting the terrain option on that map, I see the only energy-eating
hills/mountains were between San Pablo and Cordelia, else most of his trip
was flat (not much gravity involved).

I have driven this route many years ago, but in an old technology (PbSO4)
50mi EV conversion, which required I charge along the way (I was not able to
reach Sac on one charge). My first try was a 50mph to conserve power (I was
driving a wind-pusher Blazer EV, which was no-way as low a Cd as a Leaf).
But later trips to Sac (I had done six), I found I could get away with
driving a little faster at 55mph which got less flying-middle-fingers in my
direction).

After 90+mi, Lawrence's Leaf EV is going to need a charge in old-town Sac.
So, manually peeking and poking (searching) plugshare.com for EVSE near
95814, I found several, but will run-with the following EVSE as where he
charged his Leaf because it is less than a mile walking distance from CMT:
http://www.plugshare.com/?location=19157
Park Tower Garage
Ports  4 EV Plug (J1772)s
Address  805 J St., Sacramento, CA, 95814
Phone  (916) 442-2217
Hours  Garage business hours; pay lot
Description   Enter from J St., one-way east. CS-40 - ClipperCreek updated
J1772 compliant equipment. paid $7 for weekend parking

So including those three location points (home, charging, destination) in
the map:
https://goo.gl/maps/zcF8tvberVA2
Lawrence's Leaf SF to 'SacraTomato' EV-trip
89mi

I'll also assume after his gig, he likely stayed overnight either with
family, friends or at nearby lodging:
https://www.google.com/#q=lodging+near+95814&rflfq=1&rlha=1&rlla=0&rllag=38580139,-121498747,746&tbm=lcl&tbs=ls:-1,lf_hd:-1,lf_maxhp:-1,lf_maxhpitems:75-100-125-200,lf_maxhpcur:USD,lf_msr:-1,lf_hc:-1,lf_ha:0,lf_haitems:767,lf:1,lf_ui:6&hotel_dates=2016-09-11,2016-09-12

Sadly, not too many of the lodging shown offered EVSE.
My assumption is Lawrence will return to his SF home via the same route (now
fighting a head-wind, and that gravity).

But for those considering a similar EV trip, look at that portion of the map
of just old-town Sacramento and see the points labeled with Sutter ...

[sidebar ... some CA history
 When the U.S. was created (1776), Spain's CA capital was Monterey (195mi
south of Sac)
https://www.google.com/#q=capitals+California+Monterey
 After gold was found and the gringos took over CA, CA had several capitals
until finalizing on Sacramento:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/1407688-capitals-california.html

Most of old-town Sacramento was made from Sutter's Fort:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/sutters-fort-state-historic-park-sacramento
Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
 ... The fort covers the periods 1839-1850 ... As Sacramento grew the old
fort was torn down and used to build what is now Old Town Sacramento ...
http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/article90865287.html

It was at Sutter's Mill in 1849 that gold was found which started the
population explosion in CA (both by land and sea):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter%27s_Mill#History
http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist6/grush.html
California Gold  An Authentic History of the First Find
With the Names of Those Interested in the Discovery

Sac itself did/does not have much gold, the gold that was found at Sutter's
Mill washed down from the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Coloma (the mother
lode), which where all the miners headed. A huge influx 300+k gold seeking
wannabes (of all nations) invaded CA. But sadly it wasn't many miners that
made their fortune by gold mining, it was the retailers (gougers) that sold
(stiffed) to the miners, bilking them of their hard-earned gold dust.

Much in the same way, there are now tourist-traps that feed off that
old-timey gold-fever
https://www.google.com/#q=gold+panning+sacramento

Other activities in Sac are:
http://www.sacramento365.com/event/sacratomato-festival-2016/
Sacratomato Festival 2016

CA's central valley
https://www.google.com/#q=ca+central+valley
 consists of San Joaquin Valley in the south and the Sacramento Valley in
the north
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_Valley
 which are mostly agriculture which feed the U.S. and the world. So,
Sacramento is surrounded by agriculture.

During the summer months it is common to see on the highways large trucks
http://news.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/15.07.24-tomato-harvester-STAR-NTD-Tomato-Harvester-e1436906748749-680x418.jpg
 delivering canning tomatoes
http://www.shuttersandsunflowers.com/uploads/2013/07/tomato_harvest_in_california.jpg
 to the canneries:
https://localwiki.org/davis/Tomato_Trucks
 which also means tomato-truck spills
https://tribfox40.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/chp-tomato-truck-crash.jpg
https://cbssacramento.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/tomatoes.jpg
 Hence, the 'SacraTomato' play on Sacramento's name.
/sidebar]

I hope we hear how Lawrence's return trip on the way back home went :-)

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.0catch.com}
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gig_(music)
gigging
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3857/peek-and-poke
Peek and Poke
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gringo
 ... Folklore ... when the US invaded mexico, wearing green uniforms, and
the people shouted at them "Green Go Home"
 ... a north american ... it isnt a hateful term but it can be used
hatefully ...

-
https://www.mail-archive.com/ev@lists.evdl.org/msg17970.html
[EVDL] Leaf trip to Sacramento from San Francisco
Lawrence Rhodes via EV Fri, 26 Aug 2016 14:30:12 -0700
91 miles 25% of charge remaining.  Stiff tail wind.  29 miles of range on
the
range indicator.  Battery heat at 6 bars.  Lawrence Rhodes
-
-
and dont forget.....one light right foot :) Great job!   Jeff
-
-