'He’s been fined about $300, and worried the cord is a tripping hazard'

http://www.canadianautoworld.ca/industry-news/toronto-electric-car-owner-stuck-trying-to-charge-car-on-the-street
Toronto electric car owner stuck trying to charge car on the street
September 1, 2016         Robin Levinson King

[image
http://www.canadianautoworld.ca/wp-content/uploads/RangeAnxiety.gif
Todd Anderson is an electric vehicle owner who has been battling with the
City of Toronto over how to charge his Chevrolet Volt. (photo by Rene
Johnston, Toronto Star)
]

Ontario is offering citizens big rebates to upgrade to an electric car — but
for the thousands of people in Toronto without a garage, it’s not money
that’s stopping them from reducing carbon emissions — it’s parking.

After buying a shiny new Chevy Volt in April 2016, Todd Anderson was ready
to start saving on gas and the environment with the help of a $12,500
provincial rebate.

“I wanted to do something about climate change,” said Anderson, who’s been
in the renewable energy business for more than a decade.
“I see how it makes jobs for people in Ontario as well.”

But without a garage or driveway, Anderson says he’s stuck trying to charge
his car on the street, and city bylaws and red tape don’t make it easy.

To charge his car, Anderson must run an extension cord from the charging
station he installed on the lawn of his Riverdale home to a public spot
kitty-corner from his house. If the space is full, he has to park in the
no-parking zone in front of his house. So far, he said he’s been fined about
$300, and he’s worried the cord is a tripping hazard.

All these hassles get in the way of more people buying electric vehicles, he
said.

“I don’t think someone who drives a gas car would put up with not being able
to use a gas station on a daily basis,” he said.

Anderson asked his ward councillor, Paula Fletcher, to help him get approval
to park in front of his house at night and to run the charging cord
underneath the city-owned sidewalk, an installation he says he is happy to
pay for himself.

But Fletcher says that while she’s “all about electric vehicles” and
understands his frustration, there’s little she can do in the short term, as
both requests would require bylaws to be rewritten.

“I don’t think the city’s moving fast enough,” she said. “We should be
anticipating these new developments for the environment and thinking about
how to accommodate them.”
[© canadianautoworld.ca]

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/09/01/toronto-electric-car-owner-stuck-trying-to-charge-car-on-the-street.html
Toronto electric car owner stuck trying to charge car on the street
Sept. 1, 2016  Todd Anderson is an electric vehicle owner who's been
battling with the city over how to charge his car ... To charge his car,
Anderson must run an extension cord from the charging station he installed
on the lawn of his Riverdale home to a public spot kitty-corner from his
house. If a public parking spot near his house if occupied, Todd Anderson
has to park in the no-parking zone in front of his house to charge it - and
get ticketed ...
https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/gta/2016/09/01/toronto-electric-car-owner-stuck-trying-to-charge-car-on-the-street/rpjchargecarbattle0005jpg.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x567.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/