There's a guy on the Smart Car forums who has created a diagnostic tool using an Arduino with a CANBus shield that can read the battery voltage of each of the 93 cells, total voltage, various temperatures, statistical analysis, all in a few seconds at the stroke of a key.

https://github.com/MyLab-odyssey/ED_BMSdiag

He's clearly figured out some stuff about how the car works.

I'm just finishing up a 3 year lease on a Smart ED and I hate to let it go. The car has been flawless for 14,000 miles with only the required 10,000 mile checkup. Kelly Blue Book lists the resale value at about $5,000 so why worry about paying $25,000 for a new battery? If the car dies badly, buy a new (used) one. I'm sure batteries out of wrecked ones will be showing up in salvage yards or on eBay too. Car2Go is switching out 400 electric Smarts for gas ones. No word on what they're doing with the old ones but I bet there's going to be a stock of batteries available somewhere.

--Rick