Just to add my own view here.  I have had a smartED 2013 for three years and
it’s been a great car.  I drive it pretty much daily and it’s been a dream to
drive, fast and agile, tons of space to carry stuff.  Basically perfectly
suited to city driving.  As for service my local MB dealer has been good and
the basic service costs are very much on par with anything I have ever owned
(mainly Nissan’s) except they are overall cheaper than my gas cars without all
the parts that need to be replaced and oil changes etc.  I too would like to
own the service manuals but in reality I won’t ever be digging that deeply into
self service.  I gave that up many years back when the cars became mostly
electronically controlled.  The mechanics I can get serviced anywhere as the
base car is the same as the gas and diesel versions.  After three years my
battery seems to holding up just fine, my range is the same or even slightly
more than when I bought it - might be just the estimator learning my driving
style.

That said, if I had kids I would have probably bought a leaf at the time and
today I would consider the iMev or the KEA Soul EV which looks really nice if I
need a bigger car any time soon.   For now I am waiting for the 400+ km car
with fast charger for my next one.

As for conversions I did look into this some years back when I had my diesel
smart but for many reasons including cost and performance it just didn’t seem
like a good option.  I think with all the good EV’s on the market today the
only vehicle worth converting would be a truck as there is nothing yet in that
category though I expect that too will change fairly soon.

Lawrence