Well I agree that until pedestrians don’t have the right of way _period_ we
need to deal with this.  The approach of having a noise emitted at low speed is
really not a big deal, most of the time it’s inaudible inside the car.  I think
a turbine whine at low speed and maybe even a beep beep when the turn signal is
on or the wheel is turned beyond a certain point would be just good.  People do
get distracted for lots of reasons; kids fighting is a good one, that having
some ancillary noise would be useful.  What we could do is lobby to ensure like
backup beepers this is put into all cars, we all know that modern gas cars can
be exceedingly quiet as well.

Lawrence