Has anyone noticed that this alleged safety feature simply removes by yet one
more step the responsibility of the operator of the motor vehicle to be
aware of his surroundings? If there's a pedestrian ahead who does not look
and does not hear the motor vehicle approaching, it is the driver's
responsibility to make note of this.

Oh, it's okay that the pedestrian stepped off the curb and I killed him. I
have a noisemaker on my EV. The media calls it an accident, further removing
my responsibility, because everyone know that accidents happen.

If it can be predicted or if it can be avoided, it's not an accident, it's a
crash.

Pickup truck kills pedestrian. Driver calls it an accident, no charges are
filed. He should not be owning a pickup truck that kills people. One rarely
sees a newspaper article that reads that a pickup truck driver killed a
pedestrian.

Put the responsibility back in the driver's seat.