Damon,

That is exactly why I am teaching myself on everything I can learn about
the Leaf that I think is necessary,

enjoying the fact that the service manuals are available online and
knowing that Nissan cannot

over-the-air botch up Leafs, since the 2G communication that they have
to control the car charging and airco will stop working end this month

and if you are concerned about the cellular access to the car, then you
can simply grab the antenna cable behind the

glove box and yank it out of the telemetrics unit.

Also the weakest spot on the Leaf - the battery - appears to be
reasonable good engineered to allow DIY as I have done on several of
them now.

The BMS is stand-alone which is a great benefit, as you can actually run
battery and BMS outside of the car, even while still in the shell that
Nissan put around the whole thing, only 12V is required to run the BMS
and when you connect CAN bus you can use LeafSpy to log the data from
the 96 cells.

So that is why I am in the process of transplanting two Leaf packs + BMS
into my EV truck.

In case someone ever wants to give their Leaf a better battery pack, all
they need is another chemistry that is happy with up to 4.15V charge

and that can fit 96 series cells in the Leaf shell and be water-proofed
and bolted back under the car...

I am not bothered by the look of the Leaf, though I understand people
who don't like the styling. I simply enjoy the instant-on torque which
allows me to pull away first at a traffic light unless a real muscle car
is next to me.

Some people go as far as taking the Leaf drivetrain and bolting it into
another body, which is another way of creating your own EV. I will soon
have such a vehicle in my garage, once I get the Leaf cells hooked up in
my US Electricar truck.

BTW, the millions of other people's money you refer to, I presume that
you talk about the deposits?

Because the claims of Tesla taking billions of subsidies have already
been debunked and Tesla was the first car maker to pay back their govt
bail-out loans,

so I think that Tesla is doing an admirable job of staying at the
healthy side of financial responsibility.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.