On 01/04/2017 02:54 PM, Jack Wendel via EV wrote:
I just purchased a used Yale order picker electric forklift

1) What are my options for battery replacement?

It sounds like you could use 4x 6 volt golf cart batteries (if they would physically fit) or 2x 12 volt deep cycle / solar storage / RV batteries (if they would fit).

2) Charger. The charger is a Hobart model 1R12 - 550 that is a large box.
The tag has the following data:

Specs: 5061C - 1
No. Circuits: 1
Battery type: LA
Cells: 12
AH: 451 - 550

AC input
Volts: 208/240/480
PH: 1
Max Amps: 24/22/11
Hz: 60

DC Output Per Circuit
Volts: 24
Max Amps: 115

Can I just add a 220 circuit to my existing breaker-box to use this
charger?

Yes, it would need to be a 30 amp circuit at 240 volts. Check your charger carefully to make sure it is configured for 240 volt operation and not 480 volt operation before you plug it in.

Can I use this charger to charge an EV when I finally build one?

Probably not, unless it only has a 24 volt battery pack. This charger is configured for a 12 cell lead acid battery (4x 6 volt, 2x 12 volt, or 1x 24 volt battery).

Can I use this forklift/battery/charger to learn more about EVs?
Yes, you have yourself an EV (forklift) now!

I don't
really want to take the motor out and use it for an EV directly because I
bought the forklift to use in moving stuff around the driveway. But, if I
did, would this motor work for that?

I suspect it would not work well unless you had a very small EV (scooter, motorcycle, riding mower, etc...). Because the charger is a 24 volt charger, I suspect the battery and motor are also 24 volt systems. I don't know how many amps the motor is rated, but that low voltage probably limits your total output power.

Jay