      From: Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: Michael Ross <michael.e.r...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:20 AM
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Go Tesla go!

Mark is exactly right, a short is a bet that the share price will drop in
the near term. It is not a vote that Tesla will fail in the long term.

Personally, I never buy with the thought of selling.  I try to buy
enterprises that have a chance of big success in a long time frame, like 5
to 10 years. Otherwise, I buy total market index shares. In the short term,
it is hard to be better than the market as a whole, but the long term
investor has a potential to beat the market in a longer time frame with
individual stock picks.

I own Tesla stock, but not so much that I would lose sleep over its bad
treatment by the market.  The market is generally concerned with the next
week or quarter, not 5 or 10 years.  I would venture that many investors in
Tesla are willing to buy at what looks like an elevated price because they
believe in the long term prospects. Sounds like Fidelity feels this way in
the article.

My last purchase came when Tesla committed to the Gigafactory. I consider
the battery business to be far more likely to show a profit than the auto
manufacturing business. I will buy more when I see some expansion of the
battery business. I think the short sellers are unconcerned with such long
term ideas as mega Watts of batteries for sale.

Breaking into the car industry is a very hard thing to do.  Despite share
valuation, companies like Ford and GM have incredible resources. You are
seeing established car companies moving into the EV space and they can
muster immense human can capital resources.  Tesla shows the way and the
big money follows and possibly kicks a$$ on a grander scale.  We shall see
the the various Tesla innovations pay off: dealer-less sales methodology,
AI to drive them for us, the supercharger system, better service, etc.

--
Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land