From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of ptandjb via EV
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 5:28 AM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: ptandjb
Subject: [EVDL] 85 Year Old Uncle Worked 30+ Years on EV, Needs Help

I have also posted on diyelectriccar.com but no response yet,

I am trying to help my 85 year old uncle realize one of his bucket list items
while there is still time, to drive this car at least once. He has been working
for over 30 years to slowly build an electric car using the GE EV1-B controller
that he purchased in 1984. The car chassis was hand built:
[img]http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/carfront0491.JPG[/img]
[img]http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/carside0490.JPG[/img]
It was finally finished recently and is in a machine shop in Ludlow
Massachusetts. When we attempted to power it for the first time it failed.
Overview of controller assembly:
[img]http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/EV1fullview0483.JPG[/img]
[img]http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/EV1closeup0485.JPG[/img]
I have attempted to study the schematics and all available documentation. In my
distant past I have a degree in electrical engineering so I should technically
understand all documentation and pretty much understand how things should work.
Using the “General Electric EV-! B, C, D Panel Replacement parts Lists and
Troubleshooting/Tune-Up Instructions” manual,  I noted that with SEAT and BRAKE
switches bypassed and KEY, FWD, and ACCEL switches appropriately set per 3rd
bullet point in Symptom section 1B there is not BV at L3, L5, and L7, just
minimal voltage. It appears but not confirmed that the new never used but 30+
year old EV1-B controller is defective and am at a loss on how to proceed. Any
advice would be appreciated.
Paul