I find these articles that compare Tesla with hybrid vehicle sales to be
misleading.
I guess the general public doesn't make such distinctions. I don't consider
them electric vehicle if they burn something to make the electricity.

      From: brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: brucedp5 <bruce...@juno.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:11 PM
 Subject: [EVDL] EVLN: Tesla changed perceptions> like a push for the whole
(U.S./Detroit) auto industry

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2017/11/09/tesla-identifies-electric-car-madetroit-3-shifts-gears-electric-cars-we-believed-all-nothing-questio/816798001/
Michigan drivers friendly to Tesla's electric car design
Nov. 9, 2017  Phoebe Wall Howard

[images
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c2a3ccfa6cdae71c43af34852359fdf4e49b046f/c=145-0-2268-1596&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2017/11/08/DetroitFreeP/DetroitFreePress/636457525531020570-tesla-102617-kg-16.jpg
The Tesla Model S, left, and the Model X are seen in the showroom at
Somerset Collection North in Troy on Thursday, October 26, 2017.(Photo:
Kathleen Galligan, Detroit Free Press)

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/0ca0c2fded9013597dfdedf9ad77bc204d509788/c=237-0-2763-1899&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2017/11/08/DetroitFreeP/DetroitFreePress/636457527617377944-TNS-BIZ-AUTO-RELIABILIT.jpg
The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt was GM's most reliable model in Consumer Reports,
scoring "above average" in the reliability survey. (Photo: Mel Melcon, Los
Angeles Times, TNS)

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f97d1cc9d608bf786aa134a949f8b2c1a1403e3e/c=297-0-3254-2223&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2017/11/08/DetroitFreeP/DetroitFreePress/636457525551456701-AP-Earns-Tesla-NYBZ330.jpg
This image provided by Tesla Motors shows the Tesla Model 3 sedan.  (Photo:
Tesla Motors, AP)
]

Matt Visk of Grosse Pointe leaned into a sleek Tesla Model X as his little
boys climbed around the back seat.

“Tesla is doing things that should’ve been started a while back," Visk said.
"They came in and just set the new standard. This is definitely the future.”

The 29-year-old web developer, who usually drives a Volkswagen GTI [ice],
carefully examined the battery-operated sport utility vehicle. Meanwhile,
Kristy Hoover, 28, watched Visk and their children with a smile. “He is
obsessed with (CEO) Elon Musk. He is a fan of everything he does and an
electric car is his next step.”

If Tesla fails to resolve its current manufacturing problems, outlined in
detail by Musk in conference call Nov. 1, it could slow adoption of the new
technology in America. Nearly half a million people have placed $1,000
deposits for a vehicle that may require a wait of two years.

The electric car manufacturer suffered its worst ever three-month loss of
$619.4 million in the third quarter, as workers at its Fremont, Calif.,
assembly plant struggled with early production of its first mass market car
with a starting price of about $35,000.

The company spent $1.1 billion on robots, tooling and other equipment during
the third quarter, a rate of cash burn that has raised concern among
investors. Hundreds of employees were let go. Musk also reset the company's
Model 3 goal of producing 5,000 sedans per week from December 2017 to the
end of March 2018.

Traditional automakers have said privately they're surprised the well-funded
Tesla has been hampered in launching the Model 3 [EV]. They see the
long-term viability of electric vehicles as linked to the California
upstart's success.

Although General Motors beat it to market with the 238-mile range Chevrolet
Bolt [EV], Tesla remains the first manufacturer to attempt high-volume
production of an all-electric car.  That could accelerate the already
significant decline in battery cost, if Tesla's Fremont, Calif., assembly
plant can make 200,000 to 300,000 Model 3's annually.

In the three months ended Sept. 30, the plant produced only 260 Model  3's.

“Tesla has done good things for the auto industry,” said Jake Fisher,
director of auto testing for the non-profit Consumer Reports. He
characterized Tesla as a “luxury, aspirational” vehicle while General Motors
has proven electric cars can be reliable, affordable and mass produced.

After a few years of declines, sales of hybrids and plug-ins are up so far
this year. Still, they only account for some 3.3% of the new vehicle market
in the U.S.

Last month, GM announced plans to launch 20 new electric vehicle models by
2023. Ford said it would add 13 new electric vehicles over the next few
years.

"General Motors believes in an all-electric future," said Mark Reuss,
executive vice president for global product development at GM.

Ford said it will invest $4.5 billion and introduce 13 new electric vehicles
globally in the next five years, including hybrid versions of the popular
F-150 pickup and Mustang.

In mid-October, Consumer Reports named the Chevy Bolt as a top performer
among consumers, with the same reliability rating as the pricier Tesla Model
S. The Bolt, which beat Tesla's Model 3 sedan to market, is selling nearly
3,000 vehicles a month with zero incentives. GM says electric competition
helps the industry.

“We need to accelerate the acceptance of electrification," said Ray Wert,
head of advanced technology communications at GM. "It will require offering
customers a broad range of desirable vehicles across multiple brands.”

Stephanie Brinley, a senior analyst at London-based IHS Markit, said, “Tesla
got people thinking differently and exploring options more aggressively.”

While many consumers prefer gasoline-powered cars and trucks, the electric
market is being driven by anti-pollution policies and consumer demand in
China, Europe and California,  said Paul Eichenberg, a Novi-based
independent consultant.

Nations developing the new technology will create rather than lose jobs,
Eichenberg said. "Tesla has demonstrated there’s a market."

Musk is a high-profile Silicon Valley visionary, a darling of Wall Street
despite recent forecasts by UBS that the company could run out of cash
within a year.

“We get calls from the media about Tesla’s success. What is the measure of
success?" said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at Autotrader. "They’re not
profitable and they haven’t delivered the Model 3. But you have to give
great credit to Tesla for being pioneers and pushing the rest of the
industry more into electric.”

Tesla will see more competition from established car manufacturers, said
Mark Schirmer, a senior manager at Cox Automotive.

“Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Chevy. All are coming into the market," he said.

During his First 100 Days report to investors, Ford CEO Jim Hackett talked
about why the company didn't move more quickly into battery-electric
vehicles.

“We were too much focused on the now. We believed that it was an all or
nothing question," Hackett said. "Now we know that there’s a future around
propulsion ... It’s moving from being a fringe effort in support of
environmental targets.”

Even for consumers who cannot afford the $60,000 to $125,000 price range of
Tesla's first two models, the company has inspired broad interest. The Model
3 is meant to be affordable so it can compete directly with gas-powered
vehicles in the entry-level luxury segments.

At the Tesla Gallery in Troy, visitors wear everything from well-worn work
boots to sparkly diamonds.

“It’s just not what I expected with an electric car. Normally they’re not
this good looking,” said Brad Baird, 60, a construction company owner from
Walker, Minn., in town with his wife to attend an Eagles concert.

Blair Reid, 33, of Rochester Hills, a sales manager who owns a Ford Taurus,
has test driven a Tesla.

“I fell in love with it," Reid said." And I’m in the market for a new car.”

She wants something that will comfortably shuttle her two kids to school,
football, basketball and piano lessons.

Robert Anderson, 71, a retired GM computer engineer from Bloomfield Township
who drives a Subaru, said low maintenance is a big selling point for
electric cars.

Consumers are intrigued by the environmental impact of all-electric
vehicles, too.

Levi Reyes, 45, an operations manager from Sterling Heights who drives a
Lexus, gestured toward his son in a stroller. “I want everything to last for
our kids.”

Stephanie Malouf, 26, a property manager from Grosse Pointe Park who drives
a Ford Focus, said she feels Tesla has unified the Ferrari buyer with the
socially-responsible buyer. Her mother is moving away from Mercedes toward
Porsche, Audi or Tesla.

“My first priority is the environment,” said May Malouf, 57, of Grosse
Pointe Shores. “I’ve been looking for a year and test driving. I like the
idea of not having to fill up with gas all the time.”

Tesla is forever changing public perception, she said. “It has become like a
push for the whole industry. “
[© freep.com]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/