From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Peter VanDerWal
via EV
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:40 AM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: e...@vanderwal.us
Subject: [EVDL] LiIon thermal management question (Chevy Volt)

I've noticed that if I leave my Volt plugged in and the outdoor
temperature gets very high or very low the Volt will occasionally draw
power for 10-15 minutes.  I assume this is the thermal management system
working to keep the batteries at their "optimal" temperature.
http://www.vanderwal.us/energy/Volt-ico.png
What I'm wondering is how important is this (if any) to extending the
life span of the batteries?
I'm guessing that when it's cold out, keeping the batteries warm just
improves performance and that it won't hurt the batteries to spend a few
hours at 20 deg F.
However, what happens when it's 90 deg out?
The reason I'm asking is if it's not critical when the car is parked,
I'd like to avoid wasting 1-3 kwh a day.  I can always re-enable the
EVSE before driving the car so the batteries will be at their designed
temperature when being discharged.