As I recall, there was a company that had produced a commercial 30kWh
flywheel storage system. Ideal for peak load shaving,
voltage/frequency stabilisation, and buying off peak to use during the
day etc. Cycle life was essentially infinite with the rotor spinning
on magnetic bearings in an evacuated chamber.

It wasn't physically small, something like 4 meters tall.

JET, the joint European torus fusion research facility uses flywheel
storage to provide the enormous peak power needed to drive the
magnetic bottle.

"The main source of power for establishing the magnetic fields
required for inducing and confining the plasma current in the machine
consists of the two identical Flywheel-Generator-Convertor (FGC)
systems.

At the heart of each system is a 409.8 MVA fly-wheel ALSTOM generator,
with its own auxiliaries including oil systems, air-cooling system,
pony motor, excitation equipment, LV distribution for supply of
auxiliaries and HV distribution for generator excitation and pony
motor drive."

On 8 February 2018 at 16:20, Dan Kegel via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV
> <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>> I wonder how big a flywheel is needed to store the energy to charge a 250
>> mile range in 20 minutes?
>> Since it is fixed, and does not have to be in a vehicle, it might be the
>> answer to large charging stations.
>>
>> When ten TESLAs pull up at ten fast charge cords at the same time, that is
>> over a megawatt of needed power... in 20 minutes...
>
> That application doesn't capitalize on the flywheel's ultrafast
> charging and discharging abilities.
> And smoothing can be done by modulating the teslas' charging rates.
>
> But hey, who knows.  See
> https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2014&q=flywheel&hl=de&as_sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&cites=16378509166563059026&scipsc=1
> for recent related papers.
> - Dan