On 2 May 2018 at 22:11, Marco Gaxiola via EV wrote:

> Nikola plans to build a 1 billion dollar manufacturing facility for its
> fuel cell trucks near Phoenix, Arizona next year.

I can't speak to their infringment claims, but I will say that I wish I had
$100 for every EV startup in the last 40 years that talked up big glitzy
plans to build an expensive factory in some out of the way place.  I've seen
it happen over and over again, largely thanks to Bruce's diligent pursuit of
these stories.

Here's the way it usually goes.

The company gets a bargain-priced option on a chunk of land. They make
glowing promises of skilled high-wage jobs Real Soon Now.  The state and
county governments offer them tax abatements, and sometimes even build
expensive taxpayer-financed infrastructure for them.

The target date for groundbreaking comes, but ... oops, there's a little
hitch.  The financing isn't all lined up, or something.  Whatever.  The date
gets pushed out a few months, then a year, then two, then three.  The land
the company optioned sits empty.

More years go by.  The slick website hasn't been updated and they've long
since quit posting on social media.  Nobody answers the phone.  The
newspaper sends a reporter to knock on their office door, but it's silent,
abandoned, dark and dusty.  The reporter writes a "whatever happened to"
story anyway.

And then it's all forgotten, even the incentives paid for by taxpayers, and
the city and county and state move on to some other entrepreneur's vague
promise to spend his investors' money hiring a few locals.

Will these guys be an exception?  I hope so.  We could use more competition
in the EV business.

I'm not thrilled with the fuel cell idea, I don't have much respect for
companies whose main product is lawsuits, and the name "Nikola" strikes me
as a dumb idea.  But I wish them success in building and sellng EVs.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator