Roger Daisley via EV wrote:
Reading thru the prior comments (which I really appreciate) I am
starting to wonder if I'm getting ahead of the cost curve. Maybe I
should carefully consider if lithium i.e., Leaf packs, is the way
to go, at this time? Another set of floodies is about $3000 and
good for four to five years. Maybe by that time the cost for
lithium will be substantially lower.

ken via EV wrote:
floodies may get 300- maybe 500 cycles @ 50% Dod if your easy on them,
lithium will get 2000 cycles or more at 50% DOD, ad  be Way
lighter!

It's actually a complicated questions, with pluses and minuses on both sides.

Lead-acid is readily available, safe, simple, and cheap. You don't need a BMS or special charger, so you save money there as well. AGMs or 12v floodeds won't last long (200-500 cycles). 6v floodeds, gels, and big industrial floodeds can last significantly longer (700-2000 cycles). They are easy to recycles. The downsides are the weight, and floodeds are messy.

Lithium is lighter (thus the same weight gives you more range). They offer the promise of longer life; but that assumes you get premium ones, and add a good charger and BMS, and don't "murder" them early from misuse. They are significantly more expensive, especially when a new charger and BMS are needed. Instead of corrosion, fire is a serious concern.

Of course, price for either option depends heavily on whether you are buying new, or used/surplus/cheap junk.

--
The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change
the world, are the ones who do. -- Steve Jobs