Darryl McMahon via EV wrote:
The Elcar 1000 was a hoot to drive.  We definitely managed 40 mph.
Cornered like a bottom-weighted kid's inflatable punching clown.  I
think the center of gravity on the Elcar was about 9 inches off the
ground.  Barely wider than the big motorcycles of the time with the high
handlebars.  My 2013 Smart Fortwo is big by comparison.
The unsafe rating was fully deserved.

I agree. I test-drove an Elcar back around 1976, and it was indeed a lot of fun. This was an "upgraded" model, with the bigger motor and some extra bracing in the front suspension.

I decided not to buy it due to the flimsy low-quality construction and sketchy dealership.

I don't think I would call it "unsafe". Safety is relative. It was certainly worse than the cars of the day; but safer than a bicycle, scooter, golf cart, or "meter maid" Cushman 3-wheelers on the highway.

--
There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper. Those who consider price