Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
I would forget that old style EV1 type controller.  A Kelly, Altrax or Curtis
controller is so much better. .  I don't know anyone that would buy that style
of controller.  Everyone that did home builds did a chopper controller with a
DC brushed motor.  The more advanced did go to brushless.  Lawrence Rhodes

Well, it depends on your goals.

It's an old car. It's something he built himself, and probably understands. It's like fixing a classic car; say, a Model A Ford. If the Ford's engine isn't running, you can certainly fix it (they're pretty simple, after all). There will be a learning curve if you've never worked on one it before. But there are also lots of people who can help.

Or, you can replace it with some new modern engine. It will certainly run better; quieter, cleaner, more reliable, etc. But, it will also be a LOT of work. Lots of engineering changes. And it is likely to degrade the car's value as a classic.

Replacing the old controller is a similar situation. The EV-1 is a good controller; it's generally reliable, and is an appropriate technology for the times. You have to figure out how to hook it up; but it's *meant* to be fairly easy to hook up.

I have two EV-1's. I downloaded the manuals, set them up on the bench with an old golf cart motor and a few 12v batteries, and played with the wires and switches until that "Aha!" moment when it worked. Yes, the manual is confuing at first. But the EVDL was a key factor -- there were kind and generous people here that provided the guidance and hints to help me succeed.

--
There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper. Those who consider price