Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
Sounds like it's best to keep a spare small battery capable of 450a or ultra
caps by Maxwell etc like Lee mentioned.  It's a bummer to be in the middle of a
big lake and the boat won't start for the next skier.

When an ICE starting battery "suddenly" goes dead, it's usually because it's been slowly failing for a long time, and finally crossed the threshold where it no longer has the "ooomph" needed to start the engine. Most vehicles have no instrumentation at all on the battery; so the owner has no idea that the battery is getting weaker and weaker.

You know a lot about batteries. If you added at the very least a voltmeter and ammeter, you should be able to tell if something is going wrong. For instance, if the voltage sags more than normal during starting, or if the charging current after starting does not rise to a high level for a short time and then drop off to a normal "trickle charge" level, then something is failing.

Best regards
Mark

Sent from my iPhone