https://www.marketwatch.com/story/suspected-drunken-driver-crashes-tesla-into-fire-engine-i-think-i-had-autopilot-on-2018-08-26
Suspected drunken driver crashes Tesla into fire engine: ‘I think I had
Autopilot on’
Aug 26, 2018  Mike Murphy

[image  / Bloomberg News
https://ei.marketwatch.com/Multimedia/2018/08/26/Photos/ZH/MW-GO973_autopi_20180826202401_ZH.jpg?uuid=7f197268-a98f-11e8-924f-ac162d7bc1f7
A driver rides hands-free in a Tesla Model S vehicle equipped with Autopilot
in 2016

share
https://twitter.com/SJFirefighters/status/1033757992397631488
SanJoseFireFighters @SJFirefighters
Watch out for Fire Vehicles: For the 2nd time in just a few months a parked
#SJFD Fire Engine was working an emergency scene when struck from behind.
Fortunately Firefighters escaped injury.
11:48 AM - Aug 26, 2018 · Livermore, CA
]

Minor injuries from rear-ender at 65 mph; unclear if Autopilot was actually
engaged

A suspected drunken driver who thought his Tesla was on Autopilot crashed
into a fire engine at about 65 mph early Saturday in San Jose, Calif.

The California Highway Patrol said the car rear-ended a fire engine that had
stopped on the far-right lane of heavily trafficked Highway 101 with its
flashing lights on around 1 a.m.

“I think I had Autopilot on,” the driver told officers, according to a
statement from the CHP.

Emergency responders could not immediately confirm whether the Autopilot
feature was in fact engaged. A Tesla spokesperson said Sunday the
electric-car company “has not yet received any data from the car, but we are
working to establish the facts of the incident.”

Tesla ... has, in the past, stressed that its Autopilot is not designed to
prevent all collisions and that drivers “are responsible to keep their hands
on the wheel and remain alert and present when using Autopilot.”

The driver and a passenger suffered minor injuries. The driver was briefly
hospitalized and then arrested for suspected drunken driving, the CHP said.

The use of Tesla’s Autopilot has been investigated in a number of
high-profile crashes in recent years. In May, the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration opened an investigation into a Tesla Model S sedan
that was reportedly using Autopilot when it rear-ended a fire engine in
South Jordan, Utah. Earlier this year, a Tesla Model X on Autpopilot
crashed, killing the driver, on Highway 101 in Mountain View, Calif.
[© marketwatch.com]

Tesla driver arrested for drunk driving after blaming Autopilot ... -
Electrek
2018/08/25 - A Tesla Model S crashed into yet another fire truck resulting
in two injuries in ... Model S was on Autopilot”, but he was arrested under
suspicion of drunk driving. ... We contacted Tesla about the situation and
the company responded with ...
https://electrek.co/2018/08/25/tesla-model-s-autopilot-crash-fire-truck-drunk/
Tesla driver arrested for drunk driving after blaming Autopilot for crashing
into a fire truck
Aug. 25th 2018  Fred Lambert

[image
https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/08/Screen-Shot-2018-08-25-at-8.18.15-PM-e1535242728815.jpg?resize=1500%2C0&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1
]

A Tesla Model S crashed into yet another fire truck resulting in two
injuries in San Jose earlier today.

The driver said that he “thought the Model S was on Autopilot”, but he was
arrested under suspicion of drunk driving.

I have to say “yet another fire truck” because it is the third accident
involving Tesla vehicles reportedly on Autopilot and fire trucks this year
alone.

It happened in Culver City last January and again in San Jose a few months
later.

Now the San Jose Fire Fighters are complaining of another accident that
happened early this morning.

They reported on Twitter that a Tesla vehicle rear-ended one of their fire
engines again:

    TESLA near miss! For the 2nd time in recent months SJ FF’s escaped
serious injury as a @teslamotors “Zero Emissions” vehicle slammed into the
back of a #SJFD FireEngine @ 70 MPH on Hwy 101 at 1am – Reportedly the
vehicle was in auto mode but auto braking system was not engaged.
pic.twitter.com/gDQzXrFZ5S
    — SanJoseFireFighters (@SJFirefighters) August 25, 2018

The media started reporting earlier today that Autopilot might be involved
in the crash.

We contacted Tesla about the situation and the company responded with the
following statement:

    “Tesla has not yet received any data from the car, but we are working to
establish the facts of the incident.”

A few hours later, things got more complicated because the Tesla driver,
37-year-old Michael Tran of Monterey, was arrested for driving under the
influence of alcohol.

NBC reported that the police report makes note that Tran blamed Autopilot
when talking to the police officers:

    “Tran told officers “I think I had auto-pilot on,” but it was unclear
whether the Tesla was in self-driving mode when it crashed into the
firetruck. The collision sent Tran and his passenger, 26-year-old Yorleyda
Londono of Monterey, to San Jose Region Medical Center with minor injuries.”

Of course, Autopilot is not a “self-driving mode” as mentioned in the
article. It is a driver assist system and drivers are always responsible for
their vehicle when using the Autopilot’s features.

Electrek’s Take

It’s not the first time an allegedly drunk Tesla driver has tried to use the
Autopilot card to get out of it.

Earlier this year, a Tesla driver passed out allegedly drunk in his Model S
and he told the police that the car was on Autopilot.

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that these people don’t understand
what Autopilot can do under its current form and really think that they
could get in their car drunk because they had Autopilot.

I think they are just doing everything they can to get out of a bad
situation that they created themselves.

That said, Tesla should still be interested in the data from this accident
because even though Autopilot most likely had nothing to do with the cause,
automatic emergency braking (AEB) should still have been a factor.

According to the fire department, it didn’t activate, but it’s important to
keep in mind that AEB sometimes activates to reduce the impact of the
accident and not necessarily avoid it completely if it can’t.

Though we don’t have enough information right now to know for sure what
happened in this case.
[© electrek.co]

Tesla collides with fire truck in San Jose, leaving 2 hurt
August 25, 2018 - Officials are investigating the cause of a crash involving
a San Jose fire truck and a Tesla that left two people hurt ...
https://abc7news.com/tesla-collides-with-fire-truck-in-san-jose;-2-hurt/4049807/
Tesla collides with fire truck in San Jose, leaving 2 hurt
August 25, 2018

[video  flash
https://abc7news.com/video/embed/?pid=4049911
]

Officials are investigating the cause of a crash involving a San Jose fire
truck and a Tesla that left two people hurt.
Saturday, August 25, 2018 09:38AM  SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) --
Officials are investigating the cause of a crash involving a San Jose fire
truck and a Tesla that left two people hurt.

The crash happened around 1 a.m. on Southbound Highway 101 near Coyote
Creek.

Firefighters were responding to an accident when a black Tesla rear-ended
one of the trucks.

The two passengers in that car were taken to the hospital. Their conditions
are not known. No firefighters were injured.

Investigators are looking into whether the Tesla's Autopilot feature was on
during the time of the crash.
[© abc7news.com]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/