I kept mine "lightly" compressed after I took them out of the pack during storage. (I just used the metal plates and rods/screws from the pack to do this...didn't measure exactly 1.3333" each...but tightened things down.)

I *think* Cor is right...but it's not too hard to keep them compressed until you are ready to put them into the final pack.

Jay