https://www.inverse.com/article/52144-video-shows-how-sleek-electric-cars-will-save-space-in-future-smart-cities-uniti
Video Shows How Sleek Electric Cars Will Save Space in Future Smart Cities
January 1, 2019  Mike Brown

[images
https://fsmedia.imgix.net/b6/48/b4/f0/723d/48ca/a156/7c221ab42827/uniti-one-on-the-road.jpeg
Uniti One on the road

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/8d/8d/2d/f1/3dcd/41e6/a2cc/b7c7afe748c8/uniti-one-from-above-showing-its-seat-arrangement.jpeg
Uniti One from above, showing its seat arrangement

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/ae/e8/3f/e6/dd62/4ac1/9c75/a51f981b7c90/a-fleet-of-uniti-ones-in-a-line.jpeg

video  flash
]

The Swedish firm is gearing up to start producing the One.

Uniti doesn’t just want to electrify the car: it wants to change how we
approach the car altogether. The Swedish startup is designing an electric
vehicle built specifically with sharing in mind, offering space-efficient
designs that will interact with smart cities. Its first vehicle, the One,
looks a lot like something that could have rolled straight out of Apple’s
last keynote.

“We might look like an Apple car but our software DNA is certainly more
Android,” Thomas Westrum, senior vice president of digital for Uniti, tells
Inverse.

The two-seater One is built for getting around a city at speed. Uniti is
focused on supporting third-party technologies instead of an Apple-like
approach of designing as much as possible itself. This includes a global
partnership with Siemens and plans to integrate with smart city
functionality. The latter refers to ideas like “Mobility as a Service” or
“MaaS,” where a single app could handle payment and map out routes using a
mix of whatever available transit is the most convenient.

It’s an area of innovation that’s growing in popularity, built on the hope
that car sharing can save space and money for big city dwellers. Companies
like ZipCar and Getaround encouraged around 15 million users globally to use
a shared car in 2016, a figure set to rise to 36 million by 2025. On the
other hand, a McKinsey report recently noted that because car sharing leads
to higher mileage, that also means faster turnover, though, a younger fleet
could also reduce carbon emissions by ensuring only the most efficient
vehicles are on the road.

The One could prove central to making this possible, though its preliminary
specs are unlikely to set to heart racing. It offers 149 miles of range from
a 26 kilowatt-hour battery pack, with a top speed of 80 mph, capable of
recharging from 20 percent to 80 percent in 25 minutes from a standard
charge. Its dual motors output 120 kilowatts to power its rear wheel drive
configuration. The whole thing weighs 900 kg, or just shy of 2,000 pounds.

It’s no Tesla Model S, but it’s ideal for the sort of commutable distances
the team has in mind for this new ownership model. Because of this, Uniti is
focusing on workplace-based charging solutions that make more sense for
users that don’t own their electric car, and thus have little appetite to
spend time and energy fitting a charge point in their home.

“Simply put, people should charge at work and commute to home rather than
the other way around,” Westrum says. “This will prove essential to folks
living in areas where at home charging isn’t yet practical or yet
available.”

The company started out as a research project at Sweden’s Lund University in
2015, and it’s rapidly expanded since. It first unveiled the One at a launch
event in December 2017, in front of 2,000 attendees at its headquarters in
Landskrona. The vehicle, announced with a price of €14,900 ($16,976) with a
deposit of €149 ($168), has since garnered a pre-order value of over €70
million ($79.8 million). The firm started a new round of fundraising in
October 2018, with a pre-money valuation of £97 million ($122.5 million),
and by the end of the year, it had nearly reached its £1 million ($1.26
million) goal.

While its small size restricts Uniti from bundling a heftier
90-kilowatt-hour battery like the ones found in the Jaguar I-Pace, the
unique design of the One does mean more efficient use of city space.

“Because of our small physical footprint, we can place up to 20 vehicles in
the same space usually reserved for eight,” Westrum says. “Place an
induction pad on that space and we can charge all 20 through just one 3
phase charger (or do the same leveraging daisy chain charging without the
pad).”

A fleet of Uniti Ones in a line.

The car also improves on the actual act of parking. While giant parking
robots like the ones designed by Giken are an uncommon sight in cities,
Uniti’s vehicles can work together to form a virtual parking system that
makes hailing a vehicle simpler.

“By making use of some fairly standard park assist autonomous features, the
vehicles can essentially valet park themselves (think of it as an EV
‘vending machine’),” Westrum says. “In places where parking is a premium
(London, NYC, etc.) we think this approach can prove to be quite helpful.”

It’s the sort of platform that can enable some of the more utopian visions
for autonomous cars, where users can hail a ride and fall asleep in a
robo-cab. Tesla is working on setting up such a service for its existing
vehicles, while Volkswagen firm Moia is planning something similar for the
early 2020s, but Westrum rejects the idea that autonomy is required to
change transportation.

“We tend to view autonomy as the new seat belt, more about making automotive
fatalities a thing of the past than taking away steering wheels,” Westrum
says. “So in that context, autonomy figures into our planning from the
start. That’s why we’ll have the necessary sensors, on board processing and
wireless capabilities standard from the start, waiting to be progressively
“turned on” via software updates as regulations catch up with the
technology.”

The production version of the One is due to be unveiled in late 2019, with
plans to start deliveries to customers shortly after.
[© inverse.com]

+
https://kdminer.com/news/2018/dec/27/route-66-electric-vehicle-museum-provides-opportun/
Route 66 Electric Vehicle Museum provides opportunity for ‘something
extremely special’
December 27, 2018  KINGMAN – The last of 12 electric vehicles gifted to the
Route 66 Electric Vehicle Museum from the Peterson Automotive Museum ... The
majority of the Route 66 Electric Vehicle Museum’s vehicles are in storage,
with about 27 of approximately 100 on display ...
https://westernnews.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2018/12/27/Electric_cars-storage_t715.JPG
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/12/27/after-12-car-donation-historic-electric-vehicle-foundation-seeks-to-expand-its-museum/comment-page-1/
After 12-car donation, Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation seeks to expand
its museum
December 27, 2018  At about 4,000 square feet, the Historic Electric Vehicle
Foundation’s museum has only enough floor space for about a quarter ...
https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2018/12/IMG_4898.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/

{brucedp.neocities.org}