I assume they have looked at the percentage of orders they get online vs at their local stores when they make this decision.

If the demand from online sales channels is already more than they can manufacture, why bother keeping the regular stores? (other than as service locations).

If I had a spare $35,000 sitting around I would have no problems buying the base Model 3 online given their generous no questions asked money back trial period.

Jay