Another data point: the US Electricar used a manual transmission to mate to
the Hughes ACIM (AC Induction Motor) with 9,000 rpm redline. The
transmission gear shifter was removed and a bracket locked the transmission
permanently in 2nd gear. Rear diff seems standard 3.73 while the Tremec
(Borg Warner design) T5 transmission appears to have a 2.34 ratio second
gear. Result is a top speed of 72mph with the motor redlining, surprisingly
the transmission has little trouble with this extreme high rpm.
Tires were originally Tigerpaws low rolling resistance, but cheap all
weather tires are doing well in California, not much impact on mileage.
Note, i don't have the truck at hand, so i could not look up the
transmission and diff codes, quoting from memory.
Cor.