Author:  http://aprs.org/Energy-Choices.html

-----Original Message-----
From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> On Behalf Of Chris Richard via EV
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:42 PM
To: 'Electric Vehicle Discussion List' <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: Chris Richard <ch...@chrisrichard.org>
Subject: [EVDL] Considering buying a used EV. Suggestions requested.

All:

First, let me explain that I'm not an active contributor to this list and
may inadvertently be raising questions that have been discussed before. I
looked in message footers to see how I might search the archive and found
nothing. So, if this has been explicated before, I apologize and request a
pointer to where I might find the earlier comments.
Here's my question:
I am nearing the lease termination date on my second Fiat 500e. This time,
I'm considering buying either a used 500e or some other EV.
The leases are fine, but I'd rather not pay another big deposit and end up
with no equity in another three years.
Of course, the big questions are range and battery life. My two cars have
done fine on range through the six years I've leased them. I typically put
500 miles or so a month on them, and expect to return this second car at
around 15,000 miles, which was the same usage for my last one. That's
about typical of the cars I see offered for sale at around $8,000 without
Fiat's absurd residual prices.
What happens to range beyond three years and beyond 15,000 miles is a
mystery.
I'm in California. I may possibly relocate to Vermont in the next few
years. It's my understanding that California law mandates a 10
year/150,000-mile warranty on ev batteries, but I'll bet there are plenty
of loopholes. I'd like to know about that, about options and questions to
ask on extended warranties, on the merits of buying from a dealer vs. a
private party, etc.
Finally, as much as I've liked the 500e, I'm not wedded to it. It would be
nice to be able to carry lumber home or to have less fear that my dog, who
is so afraid of cars that he can only travel in a crate, might get
seriously hurt or killed  if somebody rear-ends me. So I'd like more room,
but have never been that impressed with the other EVs available in my
price range.
Any suggestions appreciated, and again, sorry if this has already been
explored on this list.

CR