On 9 Sep 2019 at 12:39, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:

> One thing more: the law didn't just change.  The automakers, GM included,
> lobbied to kill California's Braude Initiative.

PS: They also sued California and eventually settled out of court.  The Bush
administration's justice department actually filed an amicus brief siding
with the automakers.

The automakers sued again when California added CO2 emissions standards,
making the somewhat dubious claim that CA was trying to regulate fuel
efficiency, and that that was the EPA's prerogative.  They lost that suit.

Currently CA and several other states are suing the federal government for
weakening earlier emissions rules.  For their part, the feds are threatening
to sue the automakers and CA for antitrust violations because CA negotiated
directly with the automakers to agree voluntarily on CO2 reductions.

The feds' priority is pretty clear here: KEEP BURNING THAT OIL, so our
lobbysts and donors keep getting richer, and also keep giving us money. So
much for "big bad government makes us."

In this scenario, the only winners are the lawyers.  It certainly isn't
those of us who have to live on this polluted earth, watching the CO2:O2
ratio increase.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator