Hi,

Does anyone have a more in-depth explanation why li ion cells perform poorly in cold weather ? It's well known that your range goes down when the battery is cold. Lots of writers talk about the phenomena and advise you about it but fail to give any real explanations. I think this conversation may have come up a long while ago but it's hard to search for.

I did a bit of research. Some authors talk about "intercalation", which happens below freezing. Intercalation is when the anode becomes plated with lithium ions instead of the ions being absorbed into the anode. Obviously, that permanently ruins the battery. So, this is irrelevant regarding poor range in cold weather.

I did find one article that might be relevant, though.

https://cen.acs.org/articles/96/i10/Rechargeable-battery-weathers-extreme-cold-conditions.html

They claim the electrolyte becomes viscous, slowing down the ion movement. That's about all they say. But, I'll add my thoughts.

If the electrolyte is viscous, then I suspect the voltage potential drops. Since watts-hours (energy) is V * Ah, you have less energy available, assuming that the Ah is constant. But, what about internal resistance ? For the same driving behavior, you'll need higher amps at a lower voltage. Resistance loss is I^2 * R, so that loss should go up significantly. I'm getting into a trap here: why doesn't the increased resistance loss heat up the battery ? The nominal resistance is extremely low, so maybe even at an elevated state there isn't enough heat to affect the electrolyte's viscosity. Don't know.

Here's another article that talks about electrolyte. They talk about preventing decomposition of electrolyte.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/fuel-cells/lithium-additives

Obviously, the other major factors are cabin heat and defrost.

Peri