Do US road rules not have requirements for pedestrian safety? There's
no way that design would pass European regulations.

My cynical first impression was that this prototype was based on not
spending any money on press tooling.

I've joked that this was Elon's response to rumors that Tesla was going to fold.

CAD = Cardboard Aided Design.

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 at 19:19, Ron Solberg via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

>   Quoting Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>:
>
> "Tesla may find a market for it; but it probably won't be the sort of
> people that buy normal pickup trucks."
>
> Calling it an "Armored Personal Vehicle", *us old folks* at some point
> might like to step up into it if we are no longer nimble enough and
> have to trade in our Model 3. We put down a $1000 deposit on our Model
> 3 and so far are not sorry.  Yes, to the cost, but we are in the a
> position similar to many folks who buy expensive pickup trucks, we
> write it off on our business.
>
> The 500 mile range battery could serve other purposes like V2G(vehicle
> to grid), or an emergency power source. I await the details that are
> sure to come.
>
> While I do not care to gamble, depending on your situation, putting
> down a refundable $100 looks like good odds in this fast changing
> world.
>
> > EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
> >> I suspect that the typical truck buyer probably WILL want
> >> something that looks more like the traditional pickup, which as you
> >> say, hasn't really changed much in 70+ years.
> >
> > That's my guess as well. It looks more like a sports car styled to
> > look like a pickup, rather than a real truck. It reminds me of the
> > old Chevy El Camino or Ford El Ranchero (cars with a small pickup
> > bed in the back).
> >
> > Tesla may find a market for it; but it probably won't be the sort of
> > people that buy normal pickup trucks.
> >
> > In a way, it might be a missed opportunity. The automaker pickups
> > have also strayed away from the traditional "work truck" pickup, in
> > favor of luxury 4-passenger car-like vehicles that happen to have a
> > small bed in back. Most of them can't carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood,
> > either.
> >
> > Lee
> >
> > --
> > ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
> > better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep
> > you in business? -- Hunter Cressall
> > --
> > Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com[1]
>

> Links: