On 31 Mar 2020 at 14:27, Mark Laity-Snyder via EV wrote:

> Interesting that Tesla M3 did NOT make this list at $40k and the BMW I3 at
> $44450 did make the list.  The M3 has a better range than the I3 and
> supercharging.

That seems to be an EU-oriented list, though it had the prices in dollars
for some reason.  You can tell because they list some EVs that are only
available in the EU, such as the Skoda Citigo-e and the Renault Zoe.

Teslas are pretty expensive in he EU.  I don't know how much of it is import
duty, how much is VAT, and how much is Tesla's own pricing strategy, but
last time I checked, the lowest cost model they offer there (3 Long Range)
was 57,900 euros.  And I don't think they offer discounts from list price,
while most of the mainstream auto dealers do.

Although the EU automakers are pushing hard on their bloated wagons
("costovers") for the higher prices and profit, in general lower-cost,
smaller vehicles still sell strongly in Europe.

I suspect that Teslas are just too expensive to sell well there.  In January
Tesla sold 1,517 Model 3s in the EU, while Renault sold 9,782 Zoes.  At
about 26,000 euros, the midrange model Zoe Zen (with leased battery) is less
than half the Model 3's price.  It's also a more "European" size.

I've been in France recently, and I recall seeing a Tesla only once in a 2-
week stay.  I'll admit, though, that I wasn't specifically looking for
Teslas, and I was mostly in smaller cities and towns.  I'm sure that they're
more common in Paris, but then all EVs are.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator