Only 2" long? That doesn't sound right.

On 5/9/2020 6:18 PM, steve sawtelle via EV wrote:
  Hi all,

This is a bit of-topic, but I can't think of a better place to ask this.

Another group I subscribe to is devoted to BMW motorcycles from the 1960's (slash2s). For the
most part we are getting 'long in tooth', and one member lamented that, although he could
still ride, he had trouble kick-starting the bike due to knee problems. A lot of ideas were
generated; one that came to me was that the engines used in these motorcycles (or close to
them) were used in BMW cars of the late 50's and early 60's. They had a motor-generator
mounted directly to the crank which was used to start the car and then charge the battery once
it was running. Now these motor-generators were pretty big - maybe 12" or so in diameter,
which would be too big to adapt to a motorcycle. But I was thinking, we have made huge strides
in motor design in the past 50 years, so maybe a motor-generator could be designed to fit in
place of the generator on these bikes. the space is about 5" diameter by 2" long. On
my motorcycle, I measured less than 10 ft-lbs torque to push through TDC, and I hav
  the hardest engine to kick start in the series (R69S). This seems pretty low,
but these engines, when well tuned, could be started by pushing the kickstarter
through by hand.

So, as a thought exercise, do you think a motor-generator could be designed to
start these engines yet fit within the physical constraints?

-SteveS