I agree, I've done something like that already (with my S-10 truck battery pack) for my well pump and fridge. But I would LOVE to have the whole house auto-switchover without me having to move extension cords around to various devices...

Jay

On 5/20/20 11:52 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
You can buy a used Leaf with twice the capacity of a power wall for 1/3rd
the price.  Then a $150 inverter connected to the 12v system to power the
lights and refrigerator in your house and you have emergency power for a
week.  Plus you can take it to the grocery store or anywhere else local
for the other 99.9% of the time that the grid is up.

And you can charge it from solar power at home when the grid is down.

This is a much more economical approach to backup power than a huge
investment in a PowerWall that you only use 0.1% of the time. IMHO...

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> On Behalf Of Jay Summet via EV
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:29 AM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Jay Summet <j...@summet.com>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] pack-aging: Tesla has V2G

On 5/19/20 11:59 PM, Alan Arrison via EV wrote:
People don't care about feeding the grid, they want to be able to use
their big battery to run their house when the grid goes down. Oops,
this would kill sales of their powerwall.

I would love to have a powerwall (or two) which would give me 14-27 kWh of
backup power for the house in a post- hurricane situation.

Then I would ALSO love to plug a car in to get an extra 80-100 kWh of
extra backup power. So I don't think V2G will necessarily remove the need
for the powerwall.

You will definitely still need the auto-transfer switch to use V2G in a
backup situation... and it would be nice to go someplace in your car
(perhaps to a nearby supercharger that does have power?) while keeping
your house powered with the powerwall.

So I think it is very complementary to the powerwall.

Jay