Opps, missed the second part of your question.

I suspect what you're seeing is the directory name, not the file name.
Most web browsers won't display a file that doesn't end in '.htm' or '.html'
they will try to download it instead.

However, if your browser is pointed at a directory and doesn't specify the file
name, many webservers will just send the 'index.html', 'index.php', etc.  and
the browser typically won't show that name.

For example, if you look at http://vanderwal.us/energy/ you'll actually get
servered http://vanderwal.us/energy/index.html, but the browser will only show
http://vanderwal.us/energy/

I copied index.html to index, If I try to access
http://vanderwal.us/energy/index , my browser wants to download the file
instead.