I see. Still not correct. OCV for Lithium Iron Phosphate is 3.38 volts per
cell. Holding cells above this voltage damages the cells.

    On Monday, March 15, 2021, 11:18:12 AM CDT, Willie via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

On 3/15/21 10:16 AM, paul dove wrote:
> Equalizing batteries is a process designed to de-sulphate lead acid
> battery plates by carrying out a controlled overcharge. Battery plates
> tend to acquire a sulphate coating over time which then hinders the
> chemical action between the electrolyte and the plate.  By equalizing
> the battery in this controlled overcharge the outer layer of the plate,
> including the sulphate coating, is blown off, thereby rejuvenating the
> battery and allowing all the surface area of the plates to interact with
> the electrolyte.  It also causes the electrolyte to bubble and in wet
> cell batteries this mixes up the acid and distributes it evenly
> throughout the cell.There is no equivalent process inside a lithium Ion
> battery. Holding a Lithium battery above it's OCV for long periods of
> time is damaging to the cells.

We were talking about equalizing voltages across lithium cells by
putting in parallel.  A valid use of "equalize" in my judgement.

I imagine that "equalize" came into use on lead batteries because the
easy way to equalize cell voltages was to overcharge the entire battery.
  An option not open for lithium batteries.  I imagine that the
de-sulfication was a side benefit.  I believe there are some other
de-sulfication options open for lead batteries also.