> the "energy-star" design will NOT let the
> defrost come on when power is restored

Curiously, with the somewhat-ancient Kenmore refer here, that's the ~first~ thing it does after a power interruption, run a defrost cycle. I have to remember yank the cord out of the wall before I transfer my loads over the the Outback inverter so I can manage everything into an even keel before letting it have some energy to play with. I prefer to bring the backup power online, check for unexpected consumption (maybe I didn't remember to shut off all the household loads before throwing the transfer switch, don't need to be running a space heater in the bathroom on the inverter...), bring the hydro plant back online and check various meter readings, etc. Then it's time to get the dump load controller running so the excess power over what it takes to run the house can go into the water heater. Having the refer gobble power during this transfer process is counteractive to starting up smoothly.

The cumulative sum of my energy input sources is such that the batteries are only necessary for load leveling/motor starting, etc, and I can go for days on end without input from the utility.

Maybe it's time to start shopping for a new retarder (that's what they call refrigerators in the food service trade).

21-Year-Old Charged in Boulder Massacre
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/605a78224e282781638c8st04vuc1
Soldiers Held at Gunpoint While Moving Vaccines
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/605a7822724d5781638c8st04vuc2
Senator on Biden's $3T Plan: 'We Need to Get It Done'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/605a782295ae3781638c8st04vuc3