Jim Walls via EV wrote:
Agreed that a single LED with 30mA is very bright.  However a tail light is not a single point of light.  It's an array with a bunch of LEDs in a series / parallel arrangement of some sort.  And for a trailer tail light (what the original mention of 30mA was talking about) there are going to be at least two of those arrays, so each one is only seeing 15 mA  That makes each LED getting far less than 30mA.  Granted that for a tail light or clearance light, it does not need to be all that bright. Turn signals and brake lights are of course quite a bit brighter.

For fun, I just measured the current of my trailer's LED lights. At 12vdc:

brake lights: 100ma each (has 8 LEDs in each one)
tail lights: 80ma each (has 12 LEDs in each one)
side marker lights: 30ma each (has 4 LEDs in each one)

So they apparently put 4 LEDs in a series string, with a dropping resistor or circuit to take up the rest.

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's