Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:56:46 -0700
From: "Mr. Snarkey" <mrshar...@juno.com>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Subject: Re: [EVDL] FTC vote on ?Right to Repair? enforcement

> You just don't know what you are missing

I would encourage you to refrain from making assumptions on which you
have no basis to make a judgement.
My "conversion" is a factory conversion, not a home-built conversion
It nicely handles my needs, which are modest
I ~have~ driven it "cross county", but I don't expect that you'd know
how or why
Some of us on the EVDL have different needs from yours. Mine include
not driving a bug-eyed clown car that I can't fix myself. If they are
so wonderful, why did it take three of them to go 160k?
But I'd never assume to judge you or your needs based on mine
Enjoy your solar car fantasies, everyone needs to dream

Mr. Snarky,

The EVDL is about sharing knowledge. Please enlighten us on how you can drive a
factory conversion cross country and what that factory conversion was? In my
case the first was a lease. By 30k miles it was obvious the 2012 Leaf battery
was a bummer. We didn't buy that lease out. The second bought used was a 2013
Leaf for $14k 0% Nissan approved used car loan. 2,400 miles on the clock. It
was like new. Paid off in 5 years at $256 a month. We just paid the simple
principal. That car has over 60k miles on it. I just drove it 50 miles to Napa
CA. It still had 52% charge left. Got a free Volta charge for the return trip.
The third Leaf was $13,550 total including incentives and lease cost($216 a
month for 3 years) plus $9,500 dollar buyout after lease. This car also has
over 60k on the clock and we can coax 135 miles out of it down wind at 55mph. I
will never again depend on anything I build as the cost to benefit just isn't
worth it unless I can work with the dregs of the EV world. For instance an eGo
scooter(got it free) modified with a couple of $100 dollar 12v Valence
batteries. Had to baby it up hills. Worked reasonably well for around San
Francisco. One of a kind. It's now hard to get Valence 40ah batteries for $100.
I spent over 10k dollars for an abandoned conversion including a pallet of 8v
batteries. It to was the first of the bubble cars http://www.evalbum.com/418 I
stuffed 1,200 pounds of lead in and succeeded in not losing any interior space.
It was good for the 2000's but didn't hold a candle to a simple Leaf and
because of that I drove veggie diesel for a decade. Because of all these things
including vegetable oil taking over my house I couldn't be more happy with my
bug eyed car which I am sure if I had to I could simply diagnose and bolt in
the proper part when needed...how hard could it be? So happy not to be
wrenching unless I "want" to.  Yes. I hold strong opinions due to experience
which I hope not to repeat. BTW solar cars are not fantasy
https://solarteameindhoven.nl/  One just has to give up steel vehicles.
Lawrence Rhodes