VW is 'sorta' doing that, perhaps a few others.

VW is designing a standardised base platforms (skateboard) and then putting
different bodies on the skateboards.

Considering how simple EVs are, it would be nice if all the manufacturers
standardised the skateboards into a few basic versions (compact, midsize, etc.)
 but this goes against their financial best interests, so I doubt it will
happen anytime soon.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key